Lakeside to Host American Red Cross Blood Drive - November 9, 2010
Lakeside will host the Marblehead Community American Red Cross Blood Drive from 12-5 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 9 in Wesley Lodge (located at 510 Central Avenue, Lakeside, Ohio). All are welcome to donate. As an incentive to give blood, this blood drive will serve as a competition between Ohio State and Michigan fans to see which team can save the most lives. All presenting donors may enter to win a pair of tickets to the Ohio State vs. Michigan football game on Saturday, Nov. 27.
Soup and sandwiches will be provided to those who donate. To find out if you are eligible to donate, visit www.redcrossblood.org. For questions or to schedule an appointment, please call 800-828-1975.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Eat a good breakfast/lunch about two hours before donating.
- Drink extra water and fluids to replace the volume you will donate (avoid tea, coffee and other beverages with caffeine).
- Eat iron-rich foods (red meat, fish, poultry or liver, beans, raisins and prunes).
- Drinking orange juice or other beverages containing Vitamin C with your meal before donating can sometimes more than double your iron intake.
- Avoid fatty foods before donating (hamburgers, fries or ice cream).
- Blood cannot be manufactured; it can only come from generous blood donors.
- In the U.S., four million people need blood every year. That is one patient every two seconds.
- People are eligible to donate blood every eight weeks.
- 97 percent of the population will have received a blood transfusion by the age of 75, yet only five percent of the population donates.
- One unit of blood can help save up to three lives.
- Approximately five percent of the eligible population in the U.S. donates blood.
- Six million individuals give blood each year.