Lakeside Women’s Club Tour of Cottages

 Thursday, July 25, 2019 
9:30am-3:30pm  
Select Cottages (map)

The Lakeside Women’s Club (LWC) Annual Tour of Cottages will take place from 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Thursday, July 25.

Featuring seven cottages, Green Gables (the LWC Clubhouse) and the Hotel Lakeside Lobby, tickets for the tour are $12. Purchase at Green Gables, 161 Walnut Ave.

A special Tour of Cottages Pass to enter the Lakeside grounds is available to guests for an additional $12 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m., if a Daily or Season Chautauqua Pass has not already been purchased. Parking is included with the special pass, however, does not include admission to the Hoover Auditorium show that evening or the Grindley Aquatic & Wellness Campus Pool.

A map of the homes will be provided. A special shuttle service provided by LWC volunteers will be offered. Local shops, restaurants and Heritage Hall Museum are preparing to welcome guests for this special event.

The Hotel Lakeside Dining Room will offer a special buffet lunch from 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. that day. The menu includes a chicken salad sandwich or BBQ pork sandwich, spinach salad or tossed salad, tomato soup or Tuscan sausage and bean soup, and assorted desserts for $16.50 per person.

On the day of the Tour of Cottages, the Lakeside Art Show will be available for viewing from 3-5 p.m. in Hoover Auditorium. The 44th Annual Lakeside Craft & Art Show will also be held on the Hotel Lakeside lawn from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Both events are free of charge once inside the gates of Lakeside.


Featured Cottages

#1 Susan Mack
916 E. Second Street
Built in the late 1800s, the Mack cottage has changed little over the last 100 years. Purchased in 1966 by Franklin and Helen Mack from the Wareing family, the cottage was inherited by their daughter, Susan Mack, in 2002 and is also enjoyed each summer by her siblings, Steve and Cathy, who live in California and the District of Columbia, respectively. The Mack siblings are fourth generation Lakesiders, with their early years spent in the house at the foot of Erie Beach Road, built by their grandfather and named “Outside the Pearly Gates.” During their high school and college years, all three kids worked in Lakeside – Susan as a lifeguard and swim instructor, Cathy at the Abigail Tea Room, and Steve in the park and at the Dock Shop.

In 1910, when the cottage was owned by the Blankemeyer family, the back part of the house (including the bathrooms, kitchen and one bedroom) was added. The front flowerbed was used to grow vegetables. Interestingly, when the Blankemeyers sold to the Wareing family in 1920, a restriction was added to the deed noting that the east half of the east lot could not be built upon and that this condition was to “follow the land.”

The cottage still has the original wood bead board walls in all but one of the rooms, and the only major changes have been the addition of a side screened porch in 1996 and a kitchen update in 2003. While Susan’s parents spent most of their time on the open front porch, Susan and her family enjoy the screened porch, which serves as both a dining and living room throughout the spring, summer and fall.

Another favorite aspect of living here for Susan is caring for the flowerbeds and the many pots and hanging baskets surrounding the cottage. While gardening occupies much of her time while at Lakeside, these activities are definitely a “labor of love.” Lakeside visitors who travel through the East Second Street Gate are beneficiaries of Susan’s gardening skills.


#2 Heather & Marc Hottenroth
437 Cherry Avenue
Cheeky Cherry”
The owners Heather and Marc Hottenroth are both designers who, as a hobby, enjoy bringing new life into small historic homes. They have enjoyed visiting Lakeside for almost 20 years and purchased this cottage three years ago, joining two other family cottages on the block. The Cheeky Cherry name is homage to the street name, the Cherry Avenue Drum Corps who march in the Fourth of July Parade and the cheeky family that lives here.

The “Cheeky Cherry” was built around 1900 and is just shy of 900 square feet. Originally it consisted of a square main home with two bedrooms dividing the central living room and included front and rear porch additions. There was no original kitchen or bathroom.

This cottage features many tiny home innovations to maximize storage and openness and now sleeps six people comfortably. Space-saving features in the kitchen were made possible by replacing cabinets with open shelves and choosing only under counter appliances, the addition of a new train car bunk room and sleeper sun porch providing a total of four extra beds, and built-in cabinets throughout the cottage. The style is a hybrid of Modern and Shabby Chic featuring bold paint colors - cherry red and a warm creamy white - and a décor designed to spark joy to all who enter.

Whimsical art collections and designs in every room reflect the owners’ sense of humor and love of art, Lakeside history and design. Examples include a cardinal collection, custom cheeky monkey upholstery, gallery walls of vintage concert posters, ceramic cheeky monkeys inspired by Graceland, and an heirloom milk glass collection.

Their cottage is the result of many long hours of DIY renovation in collaboration with their family – especially Dick Hottenroth (Marc’s dad) who helped build their dream and Sheri Howard (Heather’s mom) who spent many hours sewing with love.


#3 Ron West, Connie West Roop, Jon West
620 Jasmine Avenue
“West Nest” (cottage, garage & playhouse)

The Rev. Harry and Marjorie West purchased this cottage and two adjacent lots in 1972. Harry thought this was a good real estate deal because it was a year-round home.

The home improvements began on this cottage that was originally built in 1895. Harry installed a new roof with his son, Ron (13 years old at the time), who willingly climbed on the steep roof. Harry replaced windows that opened inward with hand-made windows that opened outward. He realigned walls in the bedrooms to create closets and installed a shower in the first floor bath. Marjorie sewed curtains, hung wallpaper and painted. Harry also constructed a large built-in cabinet in the dining room.

The playhouse, built by Harry in Austintown, Ohio, was moved to Lakeside on a flatbed truck. It features a second floor loft and a secret trap door and is fully-furnished. In 1977, Harry planned the big garage. Family vacation time for Harry and sons Ron and Jon was spent building this garage from dawn to dusk. Materials for the garage include studs from oak skids from Youngstown steel mills and roofing from marine grade plywood from the Caldwell Store in downtown Lakeside.

Connie West Roop, maven of home improvement, added a new foundation, updated wiring, installed new windows and siding, and remodeled bathrooms. Many of the walls and ceilings are the original lathe and plaster. The cottage is furnished with family antiques including a cherry corner cupboard, Harry and Marjorie’s original ‘setting-up housekeeping’ furniture and quilts.

Ron is an actor, writer and director who lives in Los Angeles. Connie is an educator in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and the family shuffleboard champion. Jon lives in Salt Lake City and is Director of Finance for CDK Recreation. Marjorie lives in Canton and enjoys intense family battles in Monopoly at the “West Nest” with her grandchildren Alex, Thomas and Laney.


#4 Cindy & Tim Mahl
537 Jasmine Avenue
Soleil
The history of this cottage is yet to be written. But that history is off to a good start with Cindy and Tim Mahl receiving the Historic Preservation & Design Review Board’s 2018 “New Construction” Award.

The Mahls successfully built a cottage that looks like it has been in Lakeside for decades, rather than months. Thoughtful placement of the cottage on two empty lots permitted the retention of many existing trees. This allows the cottage to blend seamlessly with the landscape, which also includes a winning combination of grass, shrubs and colorful flowers.

The size and scale of the one-and-a-half story cottage blends in with the neighborhood of many previously existing single-story cottages. The design, with its large front porch and numerous windows, creates an immediate sense of history in Lakeside. The many windows also exemplify Lakeside living by bringing the outdoors inside.

The Mahls were introduced to Lakeside over a decade ago by Cindy’s cousins who had vacationed with their families. Tim and Cindy immediately fell in love with Lakeside and began looking for a cottage to buy. They started with a condo at Same Time Next Year, which they loved, but realized that with two dogs (now three) and knees that were not getting any younger, they wanted a more permanent, year-round cottage.

After looking at nearly every cottage that was on the market over a five-year period (many thanks to Dick Elsasser for his patience and support), they found a lot for sale on Jasmine Avenue. Several months later, they were able to buy the adjacent lot from another owner, and “Soleil” was on its way to becoming a reality. Tim and Cindy send special thanks to architect John Feick and Raymond Schafer Construction "for making our dream come true."


#5 Jane Sima and Amy & Daryl Dirham
316 Laurel Avenue
“Orpha Belle”
This cottage caught the eye of the owners who were boaters at a local marina. Now this cottage has a seaside décor and has turned the boaters into landlubbers! Jane Sima has been coming to Lakeside for over 65 years. Her grandfather came for the Lutheran gathering as a young man. Her parents came to Lakeside for over 70 years; in fact, Lakeside was her father’s favorite place – a bit of Heaven.

The name, “Orpha Belle,” is Jane’s grandmother. For years the last two weeks in July were designated as the family reunion time for Orpha Belle’s heirs. Two of Jane’s cousins are cottage owners to this day. So this has long been a family gathering place. Purchasing this cottage was a way to continue to promote family gatherings.

The cozy porch and the location were what attracted the owners to this place. They have owned the cottage for only two years, but put their own style into the entire cottage. From the exterior nautical blue to its interior seaside décor, the cottage reflects their love for the lake. Jane collects original artwork, especially those of a nautical nature. Some of the paintings were actually done by daughter Amy. The wooden sign on the front of the cottage was crafted by Jane’s cousin.

The owners have been busy fixing up the cottage. Since they purchased it, they have installed a new roof, new electrical wiring, new heating and new floors. They added an electric fireplace and new window treatments. While this cottage rents during Methodist Conferences and during August, July is still family gathering time.

Jane is a retired music teacher and organist. Her daughter, Amy, is a theatre arts teacher, and her husband, Daryl, works in advertising. Jane’s son, Ted, is an actor in Chicago, making Lakeside an easy drive for a visit. The Sima and Dirham families continue to honor the traditions set by Orpha Belle.


#6 Jane & Steve Anderson
201 Cedar Avenue
"Basecamp”
Built in 1875 for Amaso Bishop, this is one of the oldest cottages on the Lakeside grounds. Jane and Steve Anderson purchased the property in 2017 and are the seventh family to own it. They enjoy the active location close to Bettinger Park and the lake.

This cottage has undergone many decorative and structural changes. Some of the original board and batten siding, covered years ago, remains between the walls. Portions of the original roof trusses are still in place. Large stumps of trees felled to make way for the original cottage remain beneath it. It’s possible that the east projecting portion of the cottage was moved to the site or added to the original structure.

During the remodeling, completed in 2018, the Andersons attempted to preserve and enhance the historic look of the home’s exterior while using modern materials. Most of the original woodwork was either covered or removed, however, the turned posts on the Second Street porch and the gingerbread on the western gables of the house are very old. The gingerbread and decorative woodwork on the east gable were fabricated by Zimmerman Remodeling & Construction to replicate the existing woodwork.

The interior is more contemporary. Two interior walls on the first floor were removed to create an open living space and kitchen. Features include paintings by local artists and native plantings in the landscaping, which support local insects and birds.

The Andersons first experienced Lakeside in 1984 as a place to meet Joe and Sue Albrechta, their friends from Fremont, for a weekend retreat. They continue annual gatherings as all love Lakeside.

Jane and Steve have been married since 1981 and enjoy hiking, kayaking, biking, volunteering and reading. They’re grateful for Lakeside, an ideal setting to share with their children, other family members and friends. Their children christened the cottage “Basecamp,” because that was the code name they used for “home” when they were young.


#7 Arlene & Roger Kalkbrenner
240 Oak Avenue
Blessings Overflowing
“Blessings Overflowing” is a small, historic Lakeside cottage built in the farmhouse style, gable end to the street, with a porch. It sits two blocks from Lake Erie on one-and-a-half lots. It was built in 1910 by the Stevensons, on land originally purchased by the Rev. Taneyhill, and has been owned by 14 families through the years.

This two-story cottage has 604 square feet plus 120 square feet on the glassed-in front porch. It has three bedrooms, one bath and an open floor plan on the first floor. It sleeps eight comfortably and two additional when family gathers. It’s a true cottage – no insulation or furnace.

Most recently the cottage was painted pink and was a rental. There was a tree at the corner of the porch, which had grown to raise the porch floor. This cottage had many improvements when the Kalkbrenners purchased it from David and Rebecca Smith five years ago, including a new kitchen, flooring, windows and fresh paint. The Kalkbrenners have added a new roof, storage shelving, and enclosed the front porch, which added much-needed living space. Tom Fontana was the contractor who converted their ideas into reality. The unique feature of this cottage is that it has one of the smallest bathrooms in Lakeside!

The Kalkbrenners were introduced to Lakeside by Barb Martin, a long-time Lakeside lover. They have two daughters: Amy and her husband Rodney and two daughters, Piper and Rowan; and Julie and her husband Esthmer and their children, Zackery and Dori. Roger and Arlene have been coming to Lakeside for 43 years and their four grandchildren are fourth generation Lakesiders!

As time went by, the Kalkbrenners wanted to share Lakeside with Arlene’s siblings, and it became an important tradition for the Reckman family. For many of these years, they rented four cottages and the cousins enjoyed the freedom of riding bikes around Lakeside for ice cream and donuts.

Roger and Arlene are so grateful to share their cottage with family and friends and to introduce Lakeside to them. Their lives have been filled with Blessings Overflowing!


#8 LWC Clubhouse
161 Walnut Avenue
“Green Gables”
(Closed from 12-1 p.m.)

In 1883, the Hubbard family built a Gothic cottage with steep gables in the shape of a Greek cross. Located south of the dock facing the park, this was one of Lakeside’s prime lots. Having purchased the cottage in 1884, Mary Cook signed the lease over to her sister, Alice, in 1893. The cottage, known as Green Gables, was used as a boarding house for many years and then stood empty for several years. A newspaper article indicates the cottage was used as a gathering center for Ohio Wesleyan University faculty and alumni during the summer of 1923.

In 1928, Arthur Hoover, Lakeside’s General Manager, persuaded Alice Cook to sell the cottage to the Lakeside Association. Mr. Hoover negotiated with Lakeside Trustees that the cottage would be used as the clubhouse for a newly-formed Woman’s Club with his wife, Bessie, serving as founding president, a position she held for four years. The Lakeside Association painted the cottage, and Bessie donated furniture from the Hoover home across the street at 205 Park Row, most notable being the parlor wicker set still in use today.

In 1947, the north porch was enlarged to create a meeting room. A photo on the wall of the Eleanor Durr room shows how it looked. More recently, in 2012, excavation below the front meeting room enabled six concrete pillars to be poured with a new foundation. In spring 2014, new carpet was laid throughout the house and extensive new landscaping was completed. As you can imagine, a house this age is always in need of repair, but in all the decades of building renovations, the original pointed Gothic windows, the ornate bargeboard roof trim and the gingerbread gable pendants have been kept intact.

Visit the lending library inside the entrance, the parlor with its painted stone fireplace, the four guest bedrooms (named for characters in Anne of Green Gables) that are available for rent by women over age 18, and the Corner Cupboard where you can shop for gently-used treasures. The 20 knitted blankets on display are donated each fall to the local Salvation Army.


Bonus Stop: Hotel Lakeside Lobby
150 Maple Avenue

Relax and enjoy a step back in time as you walk through the lobby of this historic landmark. Sit for a while on the large screened-in porch and pass some time in conversation.

The north and west wings of Hotel Lakeside were constructed in 1875 at a cost of $14,000. In 1879, a 32-room annex was built south of the main building for servants of guests. This building, later used as a summer employee's dormitory, was razed in 1962.

The 60-room east wing, along Maple Avenue, was constructed in 1890 for $20,000. Electric lights were installed in each room, and plumbing was installed in a few public baths and restrooms on each floor. The floor plan from 1894 shows the main entrance through the stairs on the north/lake side with the parlor behind the columns in the current Marine/front dining room. Dining occurred in the west room where the long tables and cane bottom chairs - originals used in 1875 - currently reside. The registration desk was located in what is now the open area east of the stairwell; the current registration desk area previously served as a barbershop. The famous concrete porch was poured in 1914. Sinks were installed in every guest room in the 1930s. The front dining room was built in 1947, and the porch was enclosed with screens in the late 1940s.

After the hotel fell into disrepair in the 1960s and early 1970s, options included razing the building or remodeling it for a retirement center. With support from cottage owners, the Lakeside trustees decided to renovate the hotel. A dedicated group of volunteers, known as The Friends of Hotel Lakeside, worked tirelessly for decades providing labor and leading fundraising efforts. Major renovation and redecoration projects took place in the late 1970s. Major lobby restoration, including repair of 40 wicker pieces, occurred in 1985. When the fire marshal threatened to close the hotel in 1987, sprinkler systems were installed. A new kitchen was installed in 1990 and an elevator in 1991. Recent projects include kitchen and dining room renovations, outdoor rear garden, new foundation and updated lobby restrooms.

Location:

Select Cottages
161 Walnut Ave
Lakeside Marblehead, OH 43440

Loading map...
November 2019
S M T W T F S
·
·
·
·
·
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30